The Science department believes that the school motto “preparation for life” is a summary of the science departments’ mission statement which expects students to:
- Understand how scientific theories are developed as a result of cooperation between groups and individuals.
- Be able to successfully understand and apply scientific methodology.
- Explain with examples how science is important in a global context with respect to cultural, social, economic, technological as well as ethical limitations.
- Apply knowledge and understanding of scientific principles or ideas which may be either detrimental or beneficial to the individual, community and the environment.
- Explore ideas and concepts that may benefit society and may be universally applied.
- Use the language of science in building a working knowledge of the world in which they live.
- Develop and solidify their understanding of 21st Century skills.
- Use the ideas, concepts, transferable skills and techniques developed in other subjects to build connections and use their transferable skills to enhance their education and science.
Belvedere British School Science department encourages students to think outside of the box, become independent learners and embrace the challenges that the world has to offer them through scientific understanding. It also aims to develop attitudes that address the ability to be objective, inventive and inquisitive through a range of science project based learning using Badger tasks. Above all, through the study of science, the department hopes that students find the knowledge useful in everyday life, use safe practice and participate in effective communication when it comes to the world around us.