The History Department at Belvedere British School aims to allow students to learn about the world in which they live. History helps us to understand what has happened in the past so we know why our world has developed like it has. Through studying History we can learn from the mistakes made in the past so that they are not made again.
History is valuable to young people because:
- It helps them to appreciate their own culture and heritage.
- It allows them to understand and value the cultures and heritages of other people.
- It stimulates their curiosity and imagination.
- It enables them to think through complicated issues, and present their judgments as reasoned arguments.
- It gives people particular skills – like chronology, or interpretations of the past.
- By studying history, it prepares people to be citizens of the modern world.
As well as pupils understanding the past we also want pupils to develop Key Skills such as literacy, numeracy and ICT. We also want pupils to be able identify and achieve their next steps in the learning process and help them to achieve their full potential by providing a stimulating and challenging learning experience.